Sunday, October 12, 2008

It's a residence hall NOT a dormitory - 3

res·i·dence hall /ˈr[rez-i-duhns hol]

n. A place of warmth where people, generally students, live and share in a sense of comfort and community. A home away from home.

“I can’t wait to go home to my residence hall.”


dor·mi·to·ry [dor-mə-tor-ē]

n. A place where people sleep. Not unlike prison and similar to the cold, cruel boarding houses and orphanages of the Victorian era.

“All the girls in the dormitory have been whipped.”


It’s time for an introduction. A call-me-Ishmael moment. I’m 22. I graduated from a small state school in May and in July I started grad school at a large public university in the
Midwest. I have an assistantship as a Hall Director for the largest residence hall on campus.

As an undergrad, I was an RA, a campus tour guide, a member of student government, and a reporter for the newspaper. In those four years I learned the difference between a residence hall and a dorm and the distinction between a provost and a president. And I loved every minute of it. Which is why I’ve decided to try and stay at college for as long as possible.

I probably should have introduced myself before launching into stories of my hectic new life. But I guess beginning in the middle is similar to my experience so far. There is really no training that can totally prepare you for a job in student affairs. I learn most lessons as I go.

So, here I am, using my experience as an RA, a student leader, a college student, and just a regular person, to deal with any number of random situations that arise. Like people throwing furniture from tenth-story windows. Or floors feuding. Students stuck in broken elevators. And helicopter parents calling to talk about their students.

As a child, I didn’t dream of becoming a student affairs professional. Who does? At different times I wanted to be an artist, a doctor, a lawyer, a journalist, an actress, and a teacher. Along the way, I’ve learned that you can’t really plan on anything. So while I would love to be a university dean or president, I’m still not counting out a career as a politician or dental hygienist. If my assistantship has taught me anything so far it’s to expect the unexpected.

No comments: