Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It's a residence hall NOT a dormitory - 12

Today is the big day.

7 a.m. I wake up feeling excited, nervous, worried. Luckily, I set my own office hours so I can go back to sleep. When I finally ignore the anxious feeling in my belly enough to go back to sleep, I dream that I get no offers.

9 a.m. I wake up again feeling disoriented but thankful that the dream is not reality. I’m nervous it might be an omen of things to come.

10:58 a.m. I’m watching MTV to try to calm my nerves and keep me distracted. I’m not sure that it’s working. Gs and Gents just isn’t my thing (But after ten minutes I’m rooting for Blue!)

10:59 a.m. I practice saying “hello” out loud just to make sure I don’t have that phlegmy morning voice. Is anyone going to call?

11:00 a.m. “I’m fly like paper, get high like planes…” My ringtone! Someone is calling. It’s a school in Florida. I’m slightly surprised but excited. She gives me 24-hours to make a decision.

11:02 a.m. My phone rings again. It’s another Florida school. It looks like I might be getting a really great tan this summer.

In the next few minutes, I receive two more offers. Two are for ACUHO-I internships and two for NODA internships. I’m grateful that I received ANY offers but a little bummed that I didn’t hear from my top three choices.

4 p.m. I get a missed call and a voicemail from one of my top three schools. I’m excited, but I’m not sure I want to be second or third choice even at a school I’m really interested in.

9:15 p.m. I’m finally done with the Wednesday gauntlet of meetings, meetings, meetings, class, and meetings. I’ve barely had time to think about where I want to go and I have about 14 hours to make a decision. There’s so much to consider. I feel like the residence life internships may be a little too much like what I’m already doing so I’m leaning toward a NODA internship.

I called my boyfriend. He’s in student affairs as well and accepted an internship offer right away. He’s slightly relieved that I’m not going to be in Alaska for the summer. He accepted a position at a school in Florida which is making my two Florida choices more and more attractive. But still, I want to make this decision for me.

I called my mom. She wants me to go to the prestigious east coast school because it has a big name. I explain to her that while the university has a great academic reputation it might not be the best experience for me. She wants me to be close to home. I remind her that I spent a summer in New York and she never came to visit. After talking to my mom I know I have to make this decision for me.

The whole time I’m thinking, I’m wondering where I am in relation to Perry’s dualism, multiplism, relativism, and commitment. And right now, I am a little upset with Perry. I guess he would say I’m being multiplistic because I think any of these decisions could be equally beneficial. Sure, I’ve weighed the pros and cons of each and thought rationally about the choices. Honestly, I think that although the internships are all very different, I could grow and learn from each of them. And while I don’t want someone else to just give me the answer, it sure would be nice to know which one would have the greatest, most positive impact on my life. Does that really mean I’m not cognitively developed? Ugh.

9:30 p.m.
There’s only one solution I can think of at the moment. I’m headed to the gym to figure this out the best way I know how—with sweat and a lot of time to think. Hopefully by tomorrow morning I will feel fully committed and excited about my decision.

No comments: