Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Takin' Care of Business #16

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade...

When life gives you noisemakers, have a party...

When life gives you the opportunity to learn, make the most out of it to share your knowledge with others...

I sit here before my laptop thinking how much has changed in a year. I made a surprise visit to Iowa this past weekend for a sorority sister's wedding. She used to be an RA with me last year. It's surprising how much we have both changed since the end of Senior Year. As I think of this the song "Seasons of Love" is playing through my head. 525, 600 minutes...that is alot of time...time that has past....time that will be coming up soon. What a year...

Throughout the course of this past year, I moved, I changed my attitude about life, I learned to live alone and cope with my problems by myself, I loved, I lost, I fought, I hurt, I complained and whined, I got my act together...I can say I'm not the same girl who I used to be. If anything, this year has been one of much growth for me and my becoming an adult.

It's weird to think to think that sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you make a change. I think it definitely worked for me. Last semester was rough, but the Spring had better things in store for me. And I admit that I am happy where I am at with my life. I mean...think of it...I just completed my first year of grad school. What an accomplishment! I really didn't think back in October that I would make it this far...but I'm here...done with year number one and holding a 3.86 GPA (my highest GPA ever). I was so happy when I got my grades last week. After a super rough semester I ended up with all A's. I forgot how that felt. It feels great!!!!!

If I had to give a word of advice to the new grad students for next year on the things I learned, I would say that make the most out of your situation. Give the institution you are at, if it is different from your undergrad, a chance. Some schools have different ways of doing things...but the point is, you are there to study and to learn. Not just about Student Affairs, but I honestly think you will gain some awesome life skills through grad school. Because hey...you got to grow up sometime, right? What better chance to learn about life? What you're made of?

A year has passed...I still can't believe it. I can't even start to think that I have a year left. It baffles me. I survived the first year...whoa!

Dear friends who read our blogs on the site...thank you so much for becoming part of the first year graduate experience. Being a Student Affairs professional is not something you think about becoming when you're a little kid. But I am so glad that I'm in this field. I really want to help other students make their dreams come true. I want to help students find their way. I want to be the one they can come to with their issues. I want to help them have a voice. It is for people like my academic advisor in undergrad, my hall coordinator, my supervisor at my undergrad's Recreation Center...it's for people like them I wanted to be in this field because they believed in me that I could do my best. I want to help students reach their potential. That I am someone who believes in them.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to give the big statement of my career here, but it's all true. A person's life can change in one year, one month, one week...and in my case 525,600 minutes...

Good luck with all your endeavours future graduate students and those who graduated this past Spring. I can't wait to have you all as my colleagues someday.

And remember always to be "takin' care of business" the best way you can...do your best, give your best, receive the best :)

No comments: